Resources for Division of Life Sciences Majors
Course Options for Internship Credit through the DLS
Internship in the Life Sciences (01:119:205 /11:015:205)Internship in the Life Sciences (01:119:205 /11:015:205)
The Internship in the Life Sciences is a 3 credit course, offered through the Division of Life Sciences for students from SAS and SEBS majoring in Biological Sciences or other Life Science majors (with permission), that accompanies participation in a Life Science based internship. Students must complete either the specific hour requirement of their formal internship program or if not designated by internship, a minimum of 112 hours during a summer 12-week period, to receive 3 credits. A professional at the internship site and the course administrator supervise the internship. Students are also required to complete online academic assignments throughout the semester to earn the degree credit.
This purpose of this course is to provide students with the opportunity to develop experience and knowledge regarding the expectations, qualifications, competencies, and responsibilities of professionals working within the life sciences through an internship experience with academic component. Students will integrate knowledge from their life science coursework to the internship experience, develop new skills, and reflect on their learning experience.
This course does not fulfill major requirements for Biological Sciences.
General Career Information
Rutgers Career Services Resources
RSS feeds from Handshake:
You can also find out about NJ Life Sciences Positions with the BioNJ Talent Career Portal!
Take a course in Career Exploration specialized for Life Science majors!
01:090:210 CAREER EXPLORATIONS IN ARTS AND SCIENCES (1.5 credits)
Section Subtitle: Medicine and Life Sciences/Biology
Offered Fall and Spring Semesters! Taught by a DLS faculty member!
Joint Academic Programs Available to Undergraduate Biology Majors at Rutgers:
In the Health Professions:
- The BA/MD Rutgers/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Program
- The BA/MD Rutgers/New Jersey Medical School Program
- The BA/DMD Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Program
- The BA/MS Rutgers/RBHS Physician Assistant Program
Outside the Health Professions:
- Rutgers Graduate School of Education - 5 year BA/MS/Teacher Certification Program
- Rutgers Business School - Future Leaders MBA program
- Rutgers School of Public Health BA/Master of Public Health Program
- Rutgers School of Law BA/Juris Doctor Program
Life Science Related Summer Study Abroad Opportunities:
Summer Research Programs and Internships
- Division of Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program (DLS-SURF)
- Division of Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (DLS-SURF)
- SAS Honors Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (HLS-SURF)
- Human Genetics Institute of New Jersey MacMillan Cancer Genetics Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (HGI-SURF)
- Koury Walker First-Generation Summer Research Scholarship
- RWJMS - Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- Rutgers- NB Aresty Research Program
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU) Database
- UPenn's Summer Undergraduate Program for Educating Radiation Scientists (SUPERS)
- Corteva AgroSciences (formerly Dow AgroScience)
- RIT Summer Internships in Life Sciences
- Association of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI)
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Summer Undergraduate Research Programs List
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Summer Scholars Internship
- Columbia University Summer Undergraduate Research Program for Rising Stars (SPURS)
- Nemours Summer Undergraduate Research Scholarship Program
- Overlook Summer Internship Program
Graduate School Prep
Employment Opportunity Links
- New Scientist
- Science Magazine
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- Ecological Society Jobs Board
- Texas A&M for Wildlife and Fisheries Science Jobs Board Job
- US Government Jobs
Rutgers Career Services, Programs, and Internships
- Rutgers Career Services
- **Health Related Experiences List from Career Services ***
- Student to Professional Internship Network *SEBS students,
- Student to Professional Internship Network Program (SPIN) for Biological Sciences majors
- Rutgers FIGS Peer Instructors
- Rutgers International Service Programs
- Douglass Project for Women in STEM
Joining a professional society as a student can be a great way to learn more about current work, opportunities, and researchers in a particular field.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- The Ecological Society of America
- The Genetics Society of America
- The American Institute of Biological Sciences
- New Jersey State Society of Physician Assistants
Information About Specific Graduate or Professional Programs
Subscribe to a ListServ to find out about jobs, internships, graduate work, etc.
Please sign up for the ListServ for periodic announcements and information regarding life science grants, jobs, or internships. Use a non-Rutgers email address if you want to continue recieving these emails after graduation.