01:447:465 Mutant Isolation and Analysis
This course may be used to fulfill the electives requirement for the Biological Sciences major.
Genetic Analysis I & II 01:447:384-385 or Genetics (447:380)
This class is essentially a journal club of primary research articles involving genetic analysis.
What is this class like? The class series will begin with a research article presented by the teacher. During class we will discuss the article in depth: What was the scientific question or problem? What methods and strategies were used to address it? What were the findings and conclusions? What are the alternative interpretations and methods that could have been applied? Students will be graded by quizzes on material covered in class.
During the majority of the class series, students will be divided into groups of 4-5. Each group will be assigned one research article involving genetic analysis and be required to work together to a) interpret, b) critique and c) present the article in the form of an oral presentation to the class. Students will be graded on their ability to perform each of these tasks and on active participation during presentations by other groups.
Course Satisfies Departmental Learning Goals
- Learn the concepts and methods involved in genetic analysis.
- Learn to think deeply about experimental strategies and scientific interpretations.
- Learn to critically analyze published research articles in genetics and communicate advanced scientific concepts through oral presentations.
Exams, Assignments, and Grading Policy
- 30% of grade: During the start of the class series, students will be graded on the material covered in class using quizzes.
- 30% of grade: During the remainder of the class series, students will be divided into groups and assigned a research article involving genetic analysis, which they will present in the form of an oral presentation to the class. Students will be graded on their ability to a) interpret, b) critique and c) present the article; each will comprise 10% of the grade.
- 40% of grade: Students will be graded on their active participation during presentations.
Please continue to monitor Web-Reg for openings.
Devanshi Jain, PhD
** All information is subject to change at the discretion of the course coordinator.