01:146:478 Molecular Biology
This course fulfills the molecular biology requirement of the CBN major.
This course may be used to fulfill the elective requirements of the Biological Sciences major.
Prerequisite: Organic Chemistry I 01:160:307 Pre- or Corequisite: Organic Chemistry II 01:160:308
Structure and function of macromolecules, recombinant DNA technology, and study of genes and their regulation at the molecular and cellular levels.
Time: Tuesdays and Fridays - 2nd period (10:20 am - 11:40 am)
Place: ARC 105, Allison Road Classroom Building, Busch Campus
Course Satisfies Learning Goals
1. Master factual and conceptual knowledge in Molecular Biology- to help better understand current developments in many disciplines of life sciences including neurobiology and cell and developmental biology.
2. Develop an ability to integrate information, to deduce and reason, to query and interrogate scientific observations and conclusions.
3. To understand the utility and relevance of science in our everyday existence. Examples include, but are not limited to: molecular biology and genetically modified organisms (GMO), GMO in our food supply; molecular biology and disease etiology-from beta thalessemia, cystic fibrosis, to neurodegeneration.
Exams, Assignments, and Grading Policy
1st hourly: 20 points
2nd hourly: 20 points
Problem sets & conference participation: 20 points
Final exam: 40 points.
Exams are closed book and students are expected to follow the Rutgers Academic Integrity Code.
(1) Molecular Biology, 5th edition (2012) – pdf of text book will be posted on the course website.
Robert F. Weaver, WCB/McGraw-Hill
(2) Course related materials – lecture related slide presentation, assignments, announcements, grades, etc will be posted on SAKAI.rutgers.edu.
If this course is closed, please use the following link to add your name to the wait list:.Wait List Sign Up for Spring 2021 Courses . If you have any questions, please contact the Division of Life Sciences - Office of Undergraduate Instruction at 848-445-2075 or visit our office at Nelson Biological Laboratories B112, Busch Campus.
Dr. Alice Y.-C. Liu
Office hours: Wednesdays 12:00 noon - 1:00 pm or by appointment
** All information is subject to change at the discretion of the course coordinator.