Genetics Courses

This course is intended for Life Science majors or those with a strong background in the Biological Sciences.

This course is a CORE requirement for the Biological Sciences major.



Fall, Spring, and Summer




General Biology 01:119:115-116 or 01:119:101-102 and General Chemistry 01:160:161-162 or 01:160:163-164

Course Description

This is a 4-credit course which surveys the basic concepts of genetics. There are 2 lectures of 80 minutes each and one 50 minute recitation per week.

We plan to start the course with a study of DNA structure and manipulation followed by a detailed examination of classical genetics experiments beginning with those of Mendel. Further lectures in the course will focus on some of the details of molecular genetics, developmental genetics, and population genetics.

There will be one large lecture to be held TF first period in the Allison classroom auditorium on the Busch Campus. Most of the recitations will also be on the Busch Campus. However, some recitations are scheduled for the Douglas/Cook Campus. Cook and Douglas students might find these recitations more convenient.

The topics to be covered will include:

  • Introduction to Molecular Genetics
  • DNA Structure and Manipulation
  • Mendelian Genetics
  • Sex-chromosomes and Sex-linkage
  • Genetic Linkage and Chromosome Mapping
  • DNA Replication and Recombination
  • Molecular Organization of Chromosomes
  • Human Karyotypes and Chromosome Behavior
  • Microbial Genetics
  • Gene Expression
  • Regulation of Gene Expression
  • Genomics, Proteomics and Transgenics
  • Genetic Control of Development
  • Mutations and DNA Repair
  • Genetics of Cell Cycle and Cancer
  • Mitochondrial DNA and Extranuclear Inheritance
  • Population Genetics
  • Quantitative Genetics

Course URL

There will be a web site for the course. It will have the power point slides used in lecture or lecture notes, and take-home problem sets. I will provide problems from old exams and their answers. The answers to the take-home problem sets and the 3 exams will also be posted once the students have turned in their answers for grading.

Any notices regarding the course will be posted on the web-site. The students should access the web-site on a regular basis.

Course Satisfies Departmental Learning Goals

This course presents the fundamental terms, concepts and theories of genetics. In addition, key experimental results that contributed to the development of the field of genetics are discussed.

 Exams, Assignments, and Grading Policy

There will be 3 exams during the semester. Each exam will cover 1/3 of the lecture material. There will NOT be a comprehensive final examination. Each exam is worth 25% of the final grade (total= 75%). The remaining 25% of the grade will be based on the performance in the weekly recitations. Each week, the students will be given a set of take-home problems. The answers will be due the following week. In addition there will be 4 quizzes given during the recitation periods.

Course Materials

Required text: Benjamin A. Pierce, Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 5th edition

ISBN: 1-4641-5086-9

Course Closed?

If this course is closed , please use the following link to add your name to the appropriate wait list: Wait List Sign Up for Fall 2017 Courses.  If you have any questions, please contact the Division of Life Science - Office of Undergraduate Instruction at 848-445-2075 or visit our office at Nelson Labs B112, Busch Campus.


Dr. D. Glodowski

** All information is subject to change at the discretion of the course coordinator.



  • Update: The new deadline to withdraw from a class is Monday, March 26th! 
  • Apply Now for the  DeFalco Scholarship for Rising Seniors & DLS Majors! Deadline 4/2
  • Apply Now  for a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship! Deadline 4/6
    • NEW Honors Program Life Sciences SURF
    • NEW Honors College with Johnson & Johnson Women in STEM2D Life Sciences SURF
    • Division of Life Sciences SUR
  • We are the #1 Ranked Biology Major in NJ, #7 Nationwide, per College Factual for 2018! Learn more about RU-NB rankings!



Course Descriptions

Biology Students

Wait List Sign Up

Biology Students


Biology Students

Transfer Questions

Students asking questions


Careers in Biology