Office of Undergraduate Instruction

01:146:464 Topics in Cell Biology and Neuroscience

This course is intended for Life Science majors or those with a strong background in the Biological Sciences.

This course may be used to fulfill the elective requirements of the Biological Sciences major.

Offered

Fall

Credits

3

Prerequisites

01:146;245 and 01:146;270

Course Description

This course will focus on topics and concepts of early vertebrate development that are essential to understand functions and potential therapeutic applications of stem cells to spinal cord injury (SCI). Discussions will include embryonic stem cells and their restriction into various kinds of precursors as well as the biology and pathophysiology of SCI. Properties of neural stem cells and their applications in the nervous system will be discussed. The first half of the course will involve lectures as well as reading and discussing original research articles. Students will be taught how to read and critically evaluate papers. In the second half of the course, students will choose a research project, read original papers and review articles, and prepare a written paper and present an oral presentation in class. Students must have a strong background in cell biology or neurobiology.

Course URL

TBA

 

Course satisfies Learning Goals

Consistent with those set by the Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, as well as the Division of Life Sciences at Rutgers University

Exams, Assignments, and Grading Policy

Students will be required to prepare a written paper and present an oral presentation in class that will constitute 80% of their grade. The remaining 20% will be based on class participation.

Course Closed?

If this course is closed please contact the Division of Life Sciences Office of Undergraduate Instruction to be placed on the waiting list.  The office is located in room B112 of Nelson Biological Laboratories, Busch Campus (732-445-2075).

Faculty

Professor Martin Grumet, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology & Neuroscience
W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience
Nelson Biological Laboratories, Busch Campus
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Professor Wise Young, Ph.D., M.D.
Department of Cell Biology & Neuroscience
W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience
Nelson Biological Laboratories, Busch Campus
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


** All information is subject to change at the discretion of the course coordinator.

 

Contact Us

Nelson Biological Laboratories

Nelson Biological Laboratories
604 Allison Rd
Piscataway, NJ 08854


p. (732) 445-2075
f.  (732) 445-5870